OMSI’s vision for the new Coastal Discovery Center at Camp Gray is to create a 20-acre science camp and living laboratory serving 100,000 children and families over the next 20 years. Programming will include year-round residential camps for children and families taught by professional educators in the rich learning environment of Oregon’s Central Coast. The need in Oregon for additional outdoor education opportunities is great. The Coastal Discovery Center will inspire students and prepare future leaders to succeed.
OMSI Coastal Discovery Centers Project Goals
- Prepare students to participate in science and technology-based industries, building a pipeline of innovative workers.
- Expand the reach of our existing marine science education programs and provide convening space, serving 100,000 Oregonians over the next 20 years.
- Provide scholarships to children and school groups to participate in outdoor science learning.
- Complement flourishing marine sciences and ocean observation economic development strategies in the state.
- Honor the legacy of John Gray, a visionary leader for the State of Oregon.
OMSI has operated outdoor science education programs across the state, making a lasting impact in the lives of over 100,000 children and families for more than 60 years. We currently operate camps throughout Oregon’s diverse ecosystems, from Hancock Field Station in the high desert, to facilities in lush forests, mountain ranges, and along the stunning Oregon coast. Now, as the result of visionary gifts from John Gray and Investors XII we have the opportunity to develop a permanent new home for OMSI’s marine science education programs on a unique 20-acre coastal property in Newport, Oregon.