Join us on Saturday, June 30 for a day focused on natural disasters and the men and women who risk their lives to help others in time of need. As part of OMSI’s grand finale to its 2012 Film Fest featuring the film Rescue
, and in collaboration with its featured exhibit Nature Unleashed
, the museum will hold a special day showcasing the work of men and women trained and devoted to helping others in times of need. See below for the all the details!The Event
– Rescue: Responding to Disaster
Get prepared! We’ve put together a fantastic group of regional organizations who will share how they are preparing for disaster and how you can get ready at home!
Learn from the experts with these special presentations:
- 11:30am – Emergency Preparedness, Community Resilience and Sustainability are the Same Thing, on Different Timelines, with Jeremy O’Leary of PREP.
- 1:00pm – Panel Discussion: The What, Why and How of Family Emergency Preparedness in 15 Minutes, with Oregon VOAD President Scott Reuter, Multnomah County Emergency Management Steven Bullock, and www.naturaldistastersbook.com founder Betsy Shand.
- 1:30pm – Cell Phone Tech & Social Media in Your Emergency Planning, with Betsy Shand, founder of www.naturaldisastersbook.com.
- 2:00pm – Non-Structural Ways to Prepare your Home for an Earthquake with Portland Bureau of Emergency Management Director, Carmen Merlo.
- 2:30pm – Emergency Management: A “Whole Community” Approach, with Luis Hernandez and Steven Bullock of Multnomah County Emergency Management.
- 3:00pm – Using Wild Plans for Food and Medicine, with Rebecca Lerner, Firstways.com, journalist and nature educator.
- 3:30pm – Panel Discussion: The What, Why and How of Family Emergency Preparedness in 15 Minutes, with Oregon VOAD President Scott Reuter, Multnomah County Emergency Management Steve Bullock, and www.naturaldistastersbook.com founder Betsy Shand.
Joining the fun throughout the day are the following organizations:
- American Red Cross, Oregon Region
- CERT, Tigard
- Civil Air Patrol
- Earthquake Tech
- Mt. St. Helen’s and the Gifford Pinchot National Forest
- Natural Disaster Services
- NOAA’s National Weather Services
- Portland Bureau of Emergency Management
- Portland Fire & Rescue
- Portland Mountain Rescue
- PREP (Planning for Resilience & Emergency Preparedness)
- Titan Ready Water: Global Water Storage Systems
– Rescue: Disaster Response
comes to the OMNIMAX!
Plunge into the tough but inspiring work of the men and women who save lives in the face of a natural disaster in this giant screen film playing in the OMNIMAX Theater at 10am, 3pm, 7pm, 8pm, and 9pm as part of the 4th annual OMSI Film Festival. All screenings of this giant screen film and entrance to OMSI’s featured exhibition Nature Unleashed
are free to Film Festival pass holders and one guest. The Exhibition
– Nature Unleashed: Inside Natural Disasters
Stand inside a roaring tornado. Trigger an underwater earthquake and simulate a tsunami. Create a virtual volcano. Discover the science behind the disaster and take cover in the featured exhibition, Nature Unleashed
, now on view through September 3.